The historic Court End neighborhood is located in the northern portion of downtown Richmond bordered between roughly N. 10th Street to the west, E. Leigh Street to the north, Interstate 95 to the east and E. Broad Street to the south.
Downtown Richmond’s Court End neighborhood has transformed over the centuries and continues to be a relevant and significant part of the city. Its history is extensive. In 1790, John Marshall, best known as the “Great Chief Justice” for his role in creating the modern Supreme Court, built his home, the Wickham House, and lived there for forty-five years until his death. Originally built in 1818 as a residence for Richmonder, John Brockenbrough, the building known as the White House of the Confederacy served as the executive mansion and home of Jefferson Davis, and his family, from August 1861 until the Civil War’s end in April 1865.
The Egyptian Building, built in 1845, planted the seeds of what became VCU Health System, the largest stakeholder in today’s Court End neighborhood. And in 1876, the historic First African Baptist Church building that still stands today was built on the site of the original church founded in 1841. The church counts John Mitchell, Maggie L. Walker, and Doug Wilder among its illustrious members.
Court End is rich in history and home to many cultural institutions like The Valentine and landmarks like the John Marshall House.
Shops and Services in Court End, Richmond, VA
Restaurants in Court End, Richmond, VA